Turmeric Leaves, apart from adding them in pulaos, pakoras and sabzis, one can also add these fragrant leaves in the rice kheer.
The whole kheer is made in coconut milk and is excellent for vegans. 🙂
if you do not have turmeric leaves, then just don’t add it. simple as that. the same rule applies for palm jaggery. just add sugar or jaggery.
• Now you can serve the almond halwa warm or hot in serving bowls or spread the hot halwa evenly on a greased plate or baking tray. if you want you can apply silver paper (varaq) on top of the halwa. i avoid all these things due to contamination in the varaq.
Rice payasam recipe made with coconut milk and jaggery. vegan recipe
• pick and rinse the rice well. add in a pressure cooker or a pot with 3 cups thin coconut milk.
• now make a knot of the turmeric leaves and add these to the rice-coconut milk mixture.
• cook or pressure cook the rice till soft and done.
• now add the powdered or crumbled palm jaggery to the cooked rice.
• mix well.
• add in the thick coconut milk. simmer for 2-3 minutes on a low flame
• in another pan heat oil and fry the cashews till golden brown.
• add the cardamom powder and grated nutmeg to the oil in which the cashews are getting fried..
• stir and pour the entire content in to the kheer.
• mix well and serve rice payasam hot or cold.
• One can also make their own coconut milk. Simply ground 1.5 cup grated coconut with 1.5 cup water. sieve through the strainer. this is your thick coconut milk, now add the coconut back to the blender with 1 cup water, blend again, strain, this is thin coconut milk. repeat this process one more time.
• substitute sugar if not adding jaggery.
• adding jaggery thickens the payasam, so don't overcook. just simmer on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
• if you add sugar, than you can cook for some more minutes.
• the payasam becomes thick on cooling. so if you want a little liquid and flowing payasam than you can add some more coconut milk or water.
• also the sweetness can be adjusted as per your taste.
• after chilling the kheer in the fridge, the coconut oil solidifies. so if you want you can warm the kheer before serving.