• 2 cups crumbled jaggery or 2 and half cups jaggery……. if you like a more sweeter taste
• 1 tsp cardamom powder or crushed 4 cardamoms
Making the sweet filling:
• Put the 250 ml water to boil and add the 250 gms of Sugar to the boiling water and keep stirring to bring to a three thread consistency.
• Let the mixure cool and next take the 500 gms Kaju finely powdered in the Mixer Grinder and add it to the cooled mixture.
• Knead thoroughly and make a into a fine dough. Use this dough to fill in the Modak Moulds, allow to cool and serve fresh on banana leaf!
• It is optional to use the Chandika Varak on the Modaks.grate the coconut.
The modaks are ready to be offered to Lord Ganesha.
Making the outer cover of the Modak:
• In a pan or dekchi add the water, oil and salt.
• Keep this pan on the flame and let the contents heat up till the mixture comes to a rolling boil.
• Remove the pan from the fire and add the rice flour to it. Add small portions of rice flour.
• Keep on mixing as you want the mixture to be free from lumps and smooth. If the mixture becomes dry, add little water. If it gets a thin consistency, add a little rice flour. Consistency is very important here as you do not want the dough to break when making the modaks.
• Mix all the rice flour and keep on mixing with a wooden spoon or spatula.
Now keep this pan with the rice flour on low flame and keep on stirring till the rice mixture becomes thick and one solid mass.
• Cover the mixture for 5-6 minutes.
• When the mixture is slightly hot or warm, then knead the mixture.
• You can apply some oil on your palms while kneading the rice flour dough.
• Apply some water or oil on your palm.Take a small portion of the rice dough and make a smooth ball out of it with your hands. Keep this rice flour dough ball on your palm.
• Now flatten this dough ball in your palm with the fingers of the other hand. Make a small puri of it on your palm.
• Keep a small portion of the jaggery-coconut mixture on the center of this puri.
• Bring together all the edges together and close the top.
• Remove the extra portion of the dough from the top.
• Shape and taper the top of the modak with your fingers.
• Make all the modaks this way.
Steam the modaks for 7-10 mins on a low to medium flame in a pressure cooker without the whistle. You can also steam in a steamer.
• Some modaks may crack whilst steaming as was the case with me, buts its alright. You can forgive yourself if you are making this first time.
• The modaks are ready to be offered to Lord Ganesha.